Where girl talk gets REAL and what Cynthea Says, goes.

Friday, November 8, 2013

A Few Life Lessons from College

Hello friends!
I know I have been M.I.A. from the blogger world, my only excuse is that I have truly been busy and also had a lack of inspiration! But I have found my inspiration. As usual my inspiration this week came from people. You know, when I got to college, I figured I knew everything there is to know about people and that I would be prepared for any and every type of person. Although I still feel that way (insert smiley face) , it doesn't change the type of people I seem to attract...
I'm telling you! I attract the weirdoes, the creeps, the conceited, and the complete b-words. I'm not sure what exactly it is about me that makes people want to tell me their deepest, darkest secrets yet also back-stab me within seconds!
I have been in college for only around 3 months now and I have already been exposed to all the type of people I have listed. I am working on being open-minded to new people, new personalities but to be honest...it's really tough! I mean, not only do I have to waste valuable study time with these people, but it doesn't seem to pay off in the end! So, I have come up with a list of lessons I have learned from the short time I have been here, thanks to the lovely skanks...I mean, ladies I have met!

1) Don't be afraid to say NO.
Temptation is a strong thing! People will always ask you to do things and sometimes these things can interfere with things you KNOW you have to get done. Like tests, due dates, studying. Don't be afraid to say "no" if you have other priorities. Trust me, they won't cry and they will get over it.

2) Make Alternative Plans
Already, I have been ditched THREE times! People make plans with me and then somehow there is a lack of communication and something happens to where our plans don't work out. In reality, they ditched me. What made it more and more frustrating about each time was the fact that I was depending on that ONE plan to work out and when it didn't work out I had no Plan B's or C's. You have to be prepared for the flakers. The flakers: people who flake on you and always back out on the last minute. Come up with alternative plans with either other people or just be prepared to do something for yourself! There should be no shame in your game. Don't let it ruin your night.

3) If you want to go, GO!
This lesson correlates with my last point in #2. If there is an event going on that interests you and you really want to check it out, don't be afraid to! Even if you're alone. You never know who you will see there or who you will meet! Meeting new people and widening your  circle is always a great thing.

4) Be prepared!
When I say be prepared for everything... I mean it! I'm currently in CC's Coffeehouse taking a break from my reading because I just bought a book yesterday that I was supposed to be reading for class. Cramming like this is horrible because I really don't feel like reading, but because I didn't get the book sooner, I am in this predicament. Also! I'm not doing well in this stupid class because you need like 6 different freaking books and I only had one of them. Soooooo, lesson learned! Do whatever it takes and be prepared for anything so that you can do well.

5) Roommates
I think the first lesson I ever learned in college was that roommates are one of the most important choices you will ever make during your time there. They either work out or they don't. And just because you know the person ( or think you do ) doesn't mean it will be the best decision. Choose wisely! Ask them questions ahead of time, get to know them, and make an agreement with them on certain apartment/dorm things that could potentially be an issue. You guys have to have an understanding with each other when it comes to payments, cleanliness, and boundaries. You have any questions for them or expectations? Make sure you ask them and discuss these expectations! Things can get really bad, really fast.

I think that is all for now, but I'm sure I will have more! College is a jerk, a big one at that! It's tough, its crazy, but a lot of us have waited our whole lives to get here. So enjoy it. (:

xoxo

Cynthea

No comments:

Post a Comment